We were honored to host 650 guests over the weekend at the 2014 Emerging Therapies & Survivorship Conference, the annual free blood cancer conference from The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Greater Bay Area Chapter!
The event took place at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco, where guests started the day with breakfast and opening remarks from Tom Klein, our chapter’s Chairman of the Board. The welcome message was followed by a brief Mission talk from Aaron Czyzewski, LLS’s Regional Mission Director, who discussed the accomplishments and future of LLS. We then welcomed our Keynote Speaker, Dan Shapiro, Ph.D., a survivor and psychologist who delivered a heartwarming story of diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and life, which received a standing ovation.
After the keynote speech, guests were able to visit exhibitors and then headed to breakout sessions hosted by leading physicians who presented new and exciting information on their field of expertise. The breakout sessions included:
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Bruno Medeiros, M.D. – Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Chronic Lymphoid Leukemia: Steven Coutre, M.D. – Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: Neil Shah, M.D., Ph.D. – Distinguished Professor in Hematology/Oncology, Edward S. Agenda Distinguished Professor; Leader, Hematopoietic Malignancies Program, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCSF
- Multiple Myeloma: Jeffrey Wolf, M.D. – Clinical Professor of Medicine and Director of the Myeloma Institute, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCSF
- Myelodyplastic Syndromes: Peter Greenberg, M.D. – Professor Emeritus, Medicine – Hematology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (High Grade/Aggressive): Lawrence Kaplan, M.D. – Clinical Professor of Medicine, Director, Adult Lymphoma Program, Division of Hematology/Oncology, UCSF
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (Low Grade/Indolent): C. Babis Andreadis, M.D., MSCE – Associate Professor, Hemeatology and BMT Program, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCSF
- Pediatric Blood Cancers: Michelle Hermiston, M.D., Ph.D. – Associate Professor, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, UCSF, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
Thank you to all of our guests and incredible speakers and presenters for making the Emerging Therapies & Survivorship Conference a big success! A big thank you to our sponsors, including Millennium, Genentech, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Celgene, Gilead, and Teva Pharmaceuticals, and our partners, including Association of Northern California Oncologists, Marin Specialty Care, Redwood Regional Medical Group, Stanford Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa, Kids & Art and Palo Alto Medical Foundation!